Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Shack

You've probably heard the huge hub-bub surrounding this tale of a man called Mackenzie Allen Phillips whose daughter is kidnapped on a family camping trip and then brutally murdered. His daughter was six years old. Three and a half years later, Mack receives an invite from, 'Papa' or God to return to the shack where the last remnant of his daughter Missy was found.

There was so much hype all over this book I was most aggressive in resisting to read it. But floating about Target last Friday I came across it and dropped it into my basket. Unbeknown to me God would use those 250 pages to wreck all I thought I knew of Him.

I shan't spoil the experience of being a fly on the wall in Mack's unusual weekend with the Lord of the Universe. But I will tell you that during it you may just grasp the ridiculous depth of God's sheer pure love for His creation. You will never see such a devoted heart as God's own. And so I imagine you too will be wrecked, undone and pieced back together again in fear and trembling for the one who loves only you.

And that's the key thing here I think I learned. It isn't solely that God loves the world and the people in it. It's that He loves only you.

He loves only me.

2 comments:

  1. I honestly didn't get 'The Shack' - and I'm usually quite open.
    I couldn't get past the chapter where we are first introduced to 'God' out of sheer boredom.
    Perhaps 'now' was not the right time to read the book, and I'll try again in a couple of months time

    by the way, I tagged you on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lady! Yeah, try it again later on, there's time and seasons for reading books.

    ReplyDelete