Saturday, May 16, 2009

A beautiful world

Sometimes a song and the woven notes of its melody do something strange, something unruly and simply inexplicable. Sounds and words seep into cracks in my skin and the pores in my soul, and make their home there. They create a world of thoughts and feelings that shift like seasons. Sometimes it's sunny and delightful; other times the dark of lightening storms hit hard. I have no idea how waves of sound can do that to me. Take me to a place without leaving the spot. Tell me a story with so few words. Show me something with my eyes closed.

'Don't Panic' by Coldplay is one of their older songs alike, 'Writing to reach you' by Travis but somehow, in some odd unknown way, these songs take flight and paint a brightness that few other songs do, for me.

Perhaps it's the refrain of, 'We live in a beautiful world, yeah we do, yeah we do.' Simple but a refreshing take on this mass of iron ore and water. Maybe I spend too much time seeing the desperate hopelessness of our world and so to hear the opposite makes my little heart sing in chorus.

Just perhaps.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You're a beautiful writer, Erina. You just made me want to go listen to "Don't Panic" for the first time in a good while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amanda! Yes, it's such a good song for right now. I have no idea why it's speaking such volumes, but it does anyway.

    ReplyDelete